As a completely volunteer organization, AYSO relies on parents and other adults to deliver a fun, safe and rewarding soccer environment for our players. You might be asking yourself:
Would I make an effective coach?
The answer depends largely on your ability to inspire kids to participate in practices and games and more importantly, to have fun! Although an understanding of the game is helpful, the biggest contribution you can bring to a team is your time and willingness to be a supportive and nurturing mentor to the players! The following is a typical process for the AYSO coaches:
- Express your desire to be a coach by contacting a Coach Administrator as early as possible (usually during registration).
- eAYSO Sign-up
- Background check
- Complete Safe Haven on-line
- Complete Coach Training on-line
- Complete Coach Training in person - April
- Pick-up Team Equipment, Uniforms and Roster (due to last minute additions or drops, rosters often change)
- Configure ShutterFly Site
- Secure Practice Field
- Notify Parents and Players
- Schedule First Team Meeting to hand-out:
- Game and Pratice Schedules
- Team Picture Information
- Start team practice (no earlier than two weeks prior to the start of the season)
- Begin regular season
- Determine Team/Player Participation in SoccerFest
- Continue Season
- Conclude Season:
- Return Equipment
- Complete Player Evaluations
Securing a Practice Field
The Dubuque Community School District (DCSD) makes many of its soccer fields available during the AYSO summer season. Use the following web addresses to create an account with the DCSD facility requestor system:
"Facility" (Field) Request - http://fs-dubuque.rschooltoday.com/authentication/credential/requesterlogin
The following schools have designated soccer field facilities:
- Table Mound
Additional field space can be found at these schools:
Since practice field space is a premium during the AYSO season, please be considerate of other coaches when scheduling your practice field. It is suggested that you schedule a field in one of the following time-blocks:
- 5:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
- 6:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
- 7:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
You are, of course, free to pursue a practice field of your own choosing.